SPECIALIZED MULTIAXIS PROGRAMMING FOR PORT WORK
Mastercam Port Expert creates accurate, porting toolpaths on port surface or solid data. It minimizes unnecessary motion at the machine, which results in a highly efficient toolpath with superior finish quality. It can also be used for any tube-type work that is similar in design to a port. Port Expert uses a tapered lollipop tool, and has collision checks for the entire tool (shank, arbor, and holder).
"Port Expert not only cuts my programming time way down, but it also reduces the machining motion and the wear and tear on my tools. I was able to put a toolpath on my first port in about 10 minutes. I’m quite impressed to say the least." Tom Hemphill, Owner, Hemphill Racing, Clarksburg, Pennsylvania
There are multiple cutting options available with Mastercam Port Expert. You can cut only the top; cut only the bottom; or the entire port, including specifying how much stock to leave.
The Port Expert toolpaths use 3-axis machining as far into the port as possible, and then convert automatically to 5-axis motion with minimum tilt. This leaves no fishtails or inefficient reverse moves, and smoothly transitions where the toolpaths meet at the middle of the port.
Additional Features and Benefits
- Port Expert provides both roughing and finishing toolpaths to make ports from castings or billets.
- Geometry can be made of multiple surfaces that are stitched together.
- Automatically calculates optimal tilt angles so there is no need to split the surface or create tool axis control splines.
- Mastercam’s simulation proceeds step-by-step through the toolpath, even showing the motion used in transition at the middle of the port.
- Generates 5-axis code that can run any capable CNC machine.
- Simplifies the programming of complex port shapes.
- Greatly decreases programming time.
Mastercam Port Expert is a Mastercam Add-On that must be purchased separately. It runs on Mastercam Mill 3D, Mastercam for SOLIDWORKS 3D, or Router 3D. For more information, click here.